Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Wrigley Field

Nothing to say; I like those days, I think.

I had a dream last night in which I took a trip to Chicago's Wrigley Field with some faceless male acquaintance. I've never been there myself, nor did I know what it looked like. The latter was evidenced by the dream's content:
The field itself was tiny. I'm confident my back yard could have bullied and then taken this field's lunch money, if it had the opportunity.
It was then surrounded by an 8 foot high chain-linked fence that I doubt could have met the height requirements at a minimum security dwarven women's prison.
There was no one playing, but there was an abundance of baby boomer hippies and large, rough looking blue-collar workers lounging around outside the fence on the matted grass, near the empty freeway, across which long rows of suburban, middle class houses stood alongside one another.

Generally, even though I don't necessarily think that dreams usually hold much more than some unfinished thoughts one neglected or didn't have enough time for during daylight, I still decide to try and interpret them. I've figured that they have the potential, anyway, to be like a good short story: packed to the brim with initially unseen analogy, metaphor, references and insight, both real and imagined.

From that, though, I guess I'm unsure what, exactly, I should decide I see within something such as that. I enjoyed it primarily because it wasn't something I can write off. It wasn't carnal, nor did it bring up someone or something I have strong (or, really, any) definite emotions about. The best I could do was come up with a list of words or terms (not including direct references to the more obvious, such as 'baseball' or 'hippie') that I thought could encapsulate different aspects of the dream and try to work from there. I tried to avoid synonyms where possible but, in some situations, was unsure which word was better suited for my purposes. A non-exhaustive list includes:

America(n), Midwest(ern), Age, Anonymity, Establishmentarianism vs. Anti-establishmentarianism, Suburbia, Middle class, Waiting, Concentrations, Scaled-down (or underwhelming), Travel or (or vs.) non travel, Emptiness, Barriers (real (or realistic) vs. imagined (or unrealistic)).

Maybe the list, by itself, could better serve myself (or others) than an interpretation, or an attempt at stringing these into some kind of mock-moral story, could.

We'll see, I guess.

1 comments:

Ellen June 23, 2009 at 10:19 PM  

Parentheses within parentheses = exhaustive.

Post a Comment